Sunday, September 13, 2015

Life after the Magellan Project



 
You know when your grandparents talk about how, “You’re going to blink and all of a sudden you’ll be my age”. It seems as though that’s the case in my experience. I was sitting in Toronto International Airport shaking from travel anxiety and then all of a sudden I was on the plane flying back to the United States. But wait, I was floating in the Dead Sea and riding camels just days ago. That’s the thing, when you’re in the moment studying and exploring the world, you tend to blink sometimes. The experience, friendships and knowledge you come back with when you take your Magellan builds upon your understanding of the world while also giving you a new global perspective. I came into the Magellan thinking it was going to be straight forward and easy, but I had adversity and challenges I had to adapt to and overcome. If there’s one thing I took away from my Magellan was confidence. I picked up the life I knew and moved to Jerusalem. I took one bag, and became what I coined as a ‘digital nomad’. Of course airport security extended my stay because they didn’t believe that I lived in the Middle East for a month with just a backpack, but I suppose it does sound unbelievable. With just a backpack, I could live anywhere in the world. That’s the type of confidence I have now. I’m not too concerned like most graduates about finding work after graduation. With Washington and Jefferson College’s high employment rate after graduation, paired with the academic work I’ve completed and will accomplish to include my Magellan Project and several other academic fields, I am more than prepared for what the future has to offer me.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment